Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Attention whores...

     To some degree, I think that all of us want attention.  This attention can be earned in many different ways... Maybe it's the extra time that we take on our appearance.  For example, I am insane about my skincare routine and my hair...especially the hair.  One of my friends jokes that my hair is its own entity, that it kinda defines me.  And to a point I guess that may be true.  My point is that I take time with the hair, and with the clothes I wear.  I like to be put together I suppose.  And even when I show up in jeans and a t-shirt, you can bet that it wasn't just a simple accidental choice, that I actually spent time choosing which shirt to wear, what accessories to include, hell what shoes work right.  For me, part of the reason is that when I look good, I feel better about myself.  There is something about looking in the mirror and not hating how I look today that gives me confidence, that makes me feel like I can take on the world!  Another part of the reason is that it gets me attention.   Whether it's somebody telling me I look good, or another person asking who does my hair and eyebrows... it's still attention.

          Sometimes though, it kind of amazes me the lengths that some people will go to in order to get attention. There is this girl I know, who is one of the sweetest people that I have ever met, except for the fact that she acts like an idiot.  She basically portrays herself as this "dumb blonde" type, even though I have seen the real her, and know that it is not who she is.  It kind of makes me sad for her, because she doesn't have enough self worth to realize that the real her is an amazing strong woman.  So, because she doesn't realize this, she keeps up with this charade, and it get's the boy's attention.  And lets face it, even negative attention is still a reaction.  And at the end of the day maybe we really do just want people to notice us...

No comments:

Post a Comment